Important post

Tributes to Althea Hayton

Althea Hayton, founder of Womb Twin, passed away peacefully on August 13 (sorry for the delay in posting this news on the blog). We are all ...

Friday, June 03, 2011

On the BBC - and only one negative call!

Yesterday I went to the BBC Three Counties studios in Luton filled with nervousness which is unusual for me, as I like radio, but I was soon put at my ease, especially when I met the presenter.
He is Jonathan Vernon-Smith and he does a phone-in show.

You can listen to the programme online here ( my bit is in the middle)

The first thing that struck me was he seemed to look like a womb twin survivor at first glance ( don't ask me how, just a guess!!)  he then said he had done the quick quiz ( see link at the top left of this page if you want to do it)  and it said "probably" he is a womb twin survivor.

The question was "Should parents tell their child  about their lost twin?"  and he had the usual concerns that  this would put a burden of grief on the child and make then sad when it would be best not to know.  I pointed out that it is more of a relief than a sadness, and they know anyway.

The calls backed up everything I said until we got to the lady in Harpenden who made the usual sceptical response and called it a "load of tosh."  I reminded the listeners that this situation affects 10% of the population and therefore 90% of the population do not understand AT ALL, and she was evidently one of that 90%.



So please listen ( if you are in the UK) and let me know what you think.  Its always a great thing to get onto radio or TV - a rare event indeed but a great privilege, and that time I was not made out to be a freak by the presenter - phew!!

No comments:

Post a Comment