Important post

Tributes to Althea Hayton

Althea Hayton, founder of Womb Twin, passed away peacefully on August 13 (sorry for the delay in posting this news on the blog). We are all ...

Monday, February 25, 2013

Step 2: Dermoid cysts, teratomas and the fetus in fetu: what are they?

I have spoken about this before, and nearly 4000 people read that post, so I think its worth discussing! ....One of the most controversial aspects of the research I have been doing for the last ten years is the issue of the enclosed twin. This can be a dermoid cyst, a teratoma, a fetus in fetu or a parasitic twin. There is little doubt about the fetus in fetu or the parasitic twin, because it can be clearly seen that the body of a twin is trying to develop, and the teratoma doesn't seem to be too difficult to accept as a partially developed twin either. It's the dermoid cyst that is causing the trouble. I have very few medical references to quote on this subject. But people keep sending me their stories.......

Here is an example from the USA:
I'm not sure how it happened. Last year I became very ill. At first my stomach was just getting bigger and I honestly thought it was due to my period. But soon I noticed that it was not going away and I began to look like I was a few weeks pregnant.  It got so bad to the point were I was hungry but was not able to eat anything! I got pale and felt like fainting. I would also want to throw up but all that came out was air or acid from my stomach.  I went to the ER were they gave me a cat scan and told me I had a cyst. They said had to have a surgery by the next day. They also found out it was attached to my ovary and had grown enough to cover my stomach and it was pushing all my organs up! When everything passed they called me, telling me that they had sent my cyst to a lab and found hair, brain tissue, bone tissue and other things.... is this my lost twin?..I just don't understand how that got there. Please help.

Everything you ever needed to know, but were too afraid to ask.....

Here is an excerpt from "Womb Twin Survivors, the lost twin in the Dream of the Womb.

Teratoma

When a non-cancerous lump is discovered and surgically excised, it can be hard for doctors to decide exactly what it is. At first glance, it looks like a mass of cells with no particular form, but closer examination of the tissues however can reveal signs of fetal development. This kind of lump is known as a teratoma.
Recent reports suggest that a teratoma is a less well-developed form of foetus in foetu.i  Or conversely, a foetus in foetu is a more developed and differentiated teratoma.ii 18 Unlike the foetus in foetu however, some teratomas are comprised of cells with different chromosomes to the Alpha twin and they may become malignant. iii

I started feeling like I was pregnant when I was young, which is interesting, in as much as I’m a male. As a child I had an un-descended testis that turned to cancer as an adult. Part of the cancer was in the form of a small teratoma. CAT scans showed a very large mass in my mid section the turned out to be a huge unrelated teratoma. I had surgery and when I woke up after surgery my wife said I was speaking of “losing my baby” or “my baby died’. All I can tell you is that I was happy I survived the surgery but had this profound feeling of loss. I was empty inside, having lost something.
Derek, USA

A teratoma can grow to the size of a grapefruit and may contain any kind of tissue, sometimes organized into a recognizable form, such as hair, or tiny hands or feet. Otherwise there may be a mass of specific cells that form a specific organ, such as brain, thyroid, liver or lung cells. In one rare case, a tumour developing externally at the base of a baby’s spine was opened during surgery to reveal a “rudimentary organ resembling a heart” which pulsated with a different rhythm to the baby’s own heart.iv

Dermoid cysts

These cysts are smaller than teratomas, and they vary according to how many recognizable tissues can be seen within the cyst. Usually they contain hair and a few teeth, for the cells in a dermoid cyst are from the outer layer of cells known as the ectoderm, which forms into skin, teeth, nails and hair. They are often found on the ovary, in which case they are known as ovarian cysts.

I had a dermoid ovarian cyst, which twisted and ruptured. I had surgery when I was 16. Another tumor developed on the other ovary, which was removed age 18. I had a vivid imaginary friend until I was 5 or 6. Always felt weird, lonely and different. I’m not sure why I’m here on this planet.
Dee USA



i Higgins, K. R. and B. D. Coley (2006) Fetus in fetu and fetaform teratoma in 2 neonates: an embryologic spectrum? Journal of Ultrasound Medicine Vol. 25, No.2, pp.259-63.

ii Basu, A., S. Jagdish, et al. (2006). Fetus in fetu or differentiated teratomas? Indian Journal of Pathology and Microbiology, Vol.49, No. 4, pp. 563-5

iii Ihara T, Ohama K, Satoh H, et al. ( 1984) Histologic grade and karyotype of immature teratoma of the ovary, Cancer, Vol. 54, No.12, pp. 2988-94.
iv Kazez A, Ozercan IH, Erol FS, et al. (2002) Sacrococcygeal heart: a very rare differentiation in teratoma, European Journal of Pediatric Surgery, Vol.12, No 4, pp.278-80

Any more questions? Just ask.



No comments:

Post a Comment