Important post

Tributes to Althea Hayton

Althea Hayton, founder of Womb Twin, passed away peacefully on August 13 (sorry for the delay in posting this news on the blog). We are all ...

Saturday, January 04, 2014

Womb Twin survivors discuss theur clutter

 Why do womb twin survivors collect things? here are some of the things they say.....

I keep items because they are of sentimental value. Because one day I may need it again. Because it is a part of me and I find getting rid of things is like getting rid of a part of my past and who I am.

I never thought about it in terms of being a womb twin survivor until I found your site. I guess it's possible. I have always loved clutter and "my things". I think it stems more from growing up in a family of 7 where your belongings were few and you treasured them. Also not wanting to be wasteful. But it is an interesting idea that it might be because of what I am missing. I have always been interested in twins and it was decades before I knew that I was a twin. I also was subjected to a separation from my Mother at a few days of age, which I'm sure has added to my fears of being alone, being abandoned and rejection.

Sometimes I feel as though there is empty space that needs to be filled with something, it also diverts my attention.

I feel like I need it - if I don't have clutter all around me (my mom calls it "nesting") I feel unsafe. Even when I'm out in public, I have to be holding onto a notebook (I write all the time, so it's the most convenient item) or some other item to be able to feel safe.

Mixed meanings .. I hate that its there .... but I can't face getting rid of it. I don't mean to have clutter - - but I seem incapable of " filing " it - I find it hard to categorise my clutter into organised groups or collections. I usually feel exhausted when I approach it with a view to clearing it - so I don't clear it then.

Some of it is sentimental, but the majority of it is just from the overwhelming need to acquire things...Some things I need, but most things I "want" and then end up not using them or using them months later. I buy multiples of some items. I am irritated and stymied by the clutter but I don't know what to do. I never have friends over because of all the stuff lying around. It's all non-perishable stuff, but it's just everywhere. I really don't know what it means. I'm adopted and I'm sure that has some deep-rooted meaning in all of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment