Important post

Tributes to Althea Hayton

Althea Hayton, founder of Womb Twin, passed away peacefully on August 13 (sorry for the delay in posting this news on the blog). We are all ...

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Borderline Personality Disorder- womb twin survivors at risk of misdiagnosis?

There is a new article on my womb twin survivors web site that may be of interest if you are a womb twin survivor and have ever been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. (BPD)  I wrote it for a professional journal and they turned it down, so I've put it up for all to see on the web site.

Read it here:

Conclusion :

...............this so called “disorder” in its various manifestations may not be a mental health problem at all, but a rational, intelligent response to a rather unusual pre-birth situation. In the absence of a rational explanation, the etiology of Borderline Personality Disorder has remained elusive and hard to define, but a certain group of people presenting with a specific set of symptoms have been noticed, and given this label. The congruence between the symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder and the psychological characteristics of womb twin survivors (i.e. the sole survivors of a twin or multiple pregnancy) who number 15% of the population, suggests that they may be one and the same. 

Comments, anyone?

8 comments:

  1. I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder after my "twin" (husband) left me. I went through a lot of counseling based on my diagnosis (BPD) and since my mother was a severe "borderline," it was assumed that I inherited it from her. It seemed strange to me, since I didn't know I was "borderline" before the loss. I was also diagnosed as manic/depressive during that time. I was so unable to cope that I didn't care what anyone labeled me.

    How can I help getting that paper published?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take your story to today tonight or a current affair

      Delete
  2. The rates of some 'conditions' theoretically tied to VTS are very similar; such as those of VTS and left handedness (both around 1 in 8). But to say they may be one and the same would suggest that all VTS survivors are left handed (clearly not the case). The same would apply here.
    However, that's not to say some people with Borderline Personality Disorder aren't VTS survivors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what is vts? I have never heard of it

      Delete
    2. VTS= Vanishing twin syndrome - this term is used to describe a twin pregnancy where one embryo goes missing for the utrasound scan - the so- called "vanishing twin'.

      Delete
  3. Maybe I didn't make myself clear, and I certainly don't follow your argument here: I am describing some of the known psychological characteristics of womb twin survivors, compared with those used to diagnose BPD, and find the lists of symptoms very similar - so similar that they may be one and the same. That is the idea. My thesis is that the symptoms of borderline personality disorder as defined by the DSM may have a real cause and not be a "disorder" of any kind.

    No one would ever say that "all womb twin survivors are left-handed" - only about 14% of them are, according to my research.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just like to say I came on the internet tonight to specifically look for an article or anything written about borderline personality disorder and womb twin survivors. I had a twin brother die during my moms pregnancy. I have had many circumstances through my life that have furthered my abandonment pain but the one before birth is by far the greatest and deepest. I can relate to every single characteristic described in your book. I also have been diagnosed with multiple "illness" in my life that all correlate to the wombtwin description. I have borderline personality disorder. I have been diagnosed with ADHD, manic depression, panic disorder, major depression.. and others along the way. The most fitting is womb twin survivor/ BPD. The label is less important that moving through the label and into healing. I have had a very hard time finding therapy through my life that helps. I love the healing path but am having a hard time doing it alone. Now having been diagnosed with borderline, this has given the womb twin traits a more recognized label that I can work with. I am about to start going through dialectical behavioral therapy and work through the chapters of Athena's book. Hope this helps a bit!!
    Ryanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you will enjoy and learn a lot from that dbt course as I only just finished it 2 weeks ago. It really does help you get through the tuff times and it also gives you better understanding your self of what and why. All the best!

      Delete