Important post

Tributes to Althea Hayton

Althea Hayton, founder of Womb Twin, passed away peacefully on August 13 (sorry for the delay in posting this news on the blog). We are all ...

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Womb twin survivors - read the introduction

You can now read the introduction to my new book on The Wren publications site.


Many years ago, at the start of this century in fact, I came to the astonishing conclusion that I once had a twin, but my twin died before I was born.   Almost at once, I began to research this  phenomenon.  I quickly came across the concept of the “vanishing” twin and discovered that this was more common than I could ever have realized.  I named the survivors of a twin or multiple pregnancy “womb twin” survivors.  As I made my own pathway towards healing, I embarked on a journey of discovery that has lasted until this day and will no doubt continue. 
I now know that on average, just one percent of births in the world are twin births.  Research has revealed that for every pair of twins born there are at least ten singleton babies born whose twin died in the womb, their “womb twin”.  So we now know that there are more than 600 million womb twin survivors in the world but until recently we could not identify them.
It is astonishing that society has somehow managed not to notice or correctly identify such an enormous group of millions of people.  This is probably because until the 1980s the loss of a twin in the womb was not fully recognized or acknowledged.  People can hardly be expected to pay any heed to the needs of the sole survivors if the lost twins remain hidden from view.  
Research using ultrasound scans has repeatedly shown us how many twins are lost in the first few weeks of life.  These are called “vanishing twins” but they don’t really vanish - they die.  Their tiny bodies may be miscarried, disintegrate or gradually fade away, leaving tiny traces that an expert may be able to identify but that many people would not even notice.
Since that amazing day when I realized that I am a womb twin survivor, I have been looking for the others.  One by one, womb twin survivors have come to me by means of my web site.  With their help, 

I have learned how to identify them and help them heal.  I know that womb twin survivors have a need to understand why they feel as they do.  In order to help them, I intend to bring these little lost twins out of the darkness and into the light.  This book is their story, and it may be yours, too............. 




No comments:

Post a Comment