Important post

Tributes to Althea Hayton

Althea Hayton, founder of Womb Twin, passed away peacefully on August 13 (sorry for the delay in posting this news on the blog). We are all ...

Friday, May 16, 2008

The identical twin bond

On the wombtwin forum [take a look here] there has been some discussion about the twin bond, formed in the womb. Now there does seem to be some research that says that the identical twin bond is stronger than the fraternal twin bond, in that separated identical twins, meeting for the first time after a lifetime, are bonded to each other within seconds, whereas separated fraternal twins sometimes meet as strangers, and occasionally fall in love and want to marry each other, which causes a lot of legal problems. The bond is strong, but not the same as with an identical twin.

As a surviving fraternal twin myself, this is something I have neglected in my work with wombtwin survivors. We need new ways to help lone identical twins.

A good suggestion is the surrogate twin. This is an idea that came to be from the USA. It seems that if two lone surviving identical twins of the same sex adopt one another, this is healing for them both. This is not a homosexual relationship: this is a spiritual connection and is made for the sole purpose of supporting one another through the healing process.

Here is a little quote from a story in The Silent Cry;

Together my adopted twin and I are growing into our individuality
so that someday we will be soul friends, more so than twins
.

Do any readers want to comment on this?
Has anyone tried this idea? Did it work or not?



4 comments:

  1. Hi
    I'm very interested in trying this out, would anyone (female) be interested? I live in Portugal, so we would have to contact mostly per e-mail...
    Hope to here from you soon.
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting idea. I woud be very anxious to learn more about exactly how this might work (i.e. how would you match people?). I am a 43 year old male identical twin who lost my brother in a car accident just prior to our birth. I am just now coming to understand the difficulties in my life that are attributable to my twin loss, and am interested in anything that might help.

    But there are just not many who match my scenario - let alone anyone near my location just outside New York. I am hopeful to meet more lone twins soon.

    Fred

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Fred

    I will do all I can for you. Have you tried the Yahoo forum for twinless twins? There may be someone there. Also I am coming to New York in summer 2009 for a couple of workshops, so
    maybe we can meet. Email me via the www. wombtwin.com site and let's talk about this. Althea

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also interested...I am a 34 year old identical twin who is just now discovering the details to my twinhood. My sister probably died during the first trimester of my Mom's pregnancy. I only just found out about my Mother's having to waters at 27 and just recently the divided placenta which was my hint that we were identical. Although...I have to say I have had a strong premonition about this all my life!

    ReplyDelete