Important post

Tributes to Althea Hayton

Althea Hayton, founder of Womb Twin, passed away peacefully on August 13 (sorry for the delay in posting this news on the blog). We are all ...

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A womb twin survivors story

This was sent to me anonymously very recently:

If this is your story or you have a similar story, please make contact.   I can help.

I am dyslexic. I had insomnia from being a baby and always felt different, alone, mute and like I shouldn’t be here...years before I knew I was a twin. A nursery nurse when I was four described me as ‘a very solemn little girl’. I first attempted suicide when I was eight and failing, told my mum I had done it because : ‘I shouldn’t be here. I don’t want to be here.’  I did whatever I could to please everyone as a child and the thought i had done anything wrong, upset or hurt anyone made me suicidal with despair. 


If I saw poverty or famine or war on TV I felt helpless and pointless. I self harmed throughout childhood because I felt constantly guilty and didn’t know why. I thought I was innately bad and everyone else was innately good.  I wanted to be good, to fit in, to belong, but I constantly felt not human, like I was pretending to be human, wearing a mask, which made me a fraud. 


As I got older the insomnia got so bad I wouldn’t sleep for days on end. I stopped even going to bed. Then I stopped eating. Then I stopped going to school. By the age of twelve I had left school and was smoking, drinking and began using drugs. By eighteen I was alcohol dependant and a heroin addict. I used to attempt suicide by staging ‘accidents’. 


All my life I’ve felt in limbo, neither a part of this world and not apart of any other. Then, after getting clean off heroin, getting two jobs, getting a first class degree and getting all sorts of awards in a matter of six months I just went to a bridge and tried to jump off it.  I was diagnosed with manic depression and said to have had a psychotic episode. 


I work.  I succeed at the things i do.  I feel love for people.  I don’t whinge or blame or hate.  I don’t remember ever feeling hate for anyone or anything.  I think life can be beautiful and this world too...but I just haven’t ever felt like I should be here.  Half of me isn’t even here and I felt that before I knew I was a twin. 


I don’t know whether my chronic loneliness, mute-ness and feeling like I shouldn’t be here is anything to do with having been a ‘Womb Twin Survivor’.   I’d never heard of it before or thought that might be why I don’t remember a time I didn’t feel like half of me is missing. Just my story.


More about the support I can offer here



No comments:

Post a Comment