Important post

Tributes to Althea Hayton

Althea Hayton, founder of Womb Twin, passed away peacefully on August 13 (sorry for the delay in posting this news on the blog). We are all ...

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

When one of your twins has died - what can you do?

I read this today:

I am now carrying a single twin. I only found out one week ago that my second baby had "miscarried," as my doctor put it. I was 15 weeks along, but it appears to have happened close to a month before. I am reeling because of all of this. I have to admit that I have always had a sixth sense about things, but when I feared for one of my babies I tried to tell myself that I was just worrying too much. We were so excited about having twins.

We knew they were fraternal twins and we have the scan to prove it. It was to say the least, devastating news. I knew however that I had to hold myself together for the sake of the surviving twin and my other children. So I began to search the internet for information about what I was going through. I immediately came across the term "vanishing twin syndrome." I was shocked at what I read. I knew that such an occurrence was possible, but never could I have imagined how often it really does happen.

My concern is the effect on the surviving twin. I want to be honest with him/her when the time comes, but I am very concerned about the emotional impact of this. It sounds like from what I've read here that some people realize this without ever being told. I really hate to think of my child suffering throughout his/her life because of this loss. And being tied to something that is not tangible. It is hard enough to grow up strong and independent. Like other parents I just want to protect my baby....It just seems odd to think about communicating with someone...who really isn't there. To feel like someone is a big part of your life who isn't there seems really odd. I wonder if this could be mistaken for schizophrenia? I guess I just need help and understanding. I want to learn how to cope and prepare for when this child gets older.

Mothers should not be left to cope alone with worries such as this.  Why do the professionals not realise how important it is to provide full information and support for mothers who have lost one  twin?

I cant get my book published fast enough. It's almost there.... just a few more weeks.  See here

No comments:

Post a Comment